Overseas – For overseas visitors, the easiest entry point into Australia is through Sydney.
Driving from Sydney via Canberra – The Outpost is 4.5 hours drive south from Sydney via Canberra. We suggest you make a day of the drive from Sydney and take in the sights of Canberra along the way.
There are three ways to get to the Outpost if you are driving from Sydney, Canberra or Cooma:
1. via the Namadgi National Park – (1 ½ hours from Canberra);
2. via Cooma and Adaminaby (2 ¾ hours from Canberra); and
3. via Cooma and Shannons Flat (50 minutes or 59 kms from Cooma).
Which road to take really depends on the type of car are you driving and the weather conditions. If a 4WD/SUV then through the Park is much shorter and quicker – but there’s about 45 minutes of dirt road which can be poor in some places and subject to flooding after heavy rain. If driving a normal car, it’s safer, but longer to drive via Cooma and Adaminaby.
(Note: there’s very limited mobile phone reception through the National Park)
From Sydney or Canberra via the Namadgi National Park
1. Drive direction Canberra and a few kms after entering the ACT, take the exit – Majura Road (direction Canberra Airport). From there you head to Cooma taking the National Route Alt 23 / Monaro Highway (B23).
2. Take the exit off the Monaro Highway at Johnson Drive – direction Tharwa through the suburbs Conder (Woolworths is located here if you need to stock up with provisions) and Banks and then head to the Namadgi National Park on the Bobeyan Road. Continue through the Park till you exit the ACT. About 3-4 kms after crossing back into NSW you will come to a T intersection. Take the right to Yaouk and continue on Yaouk Road for approximately 18 kms until you come into the Yaouk Valley and the turnoff on the left to The Outpost. The entrance to the property is well signposted and immediately after a very large grove of trees (pine and poplar).
From Sydney or Canberra via Cooma and Adaminaby
1. Drive direction Canberra and a few kms after entering the ACT, take the exit – Majura Road (direction Canberra Airport). From there you head to Cooma taking the National Route Alt 23 / Monaro Highway (B23). There’s a bit of road work around the Airport so keep an eye out for the signs to Cooma/Monaro Highway, etc…..
2. Drive through Cooma towards Jindabyne and take the turnoff right (Snowy Mountains Highway) to Adaminaby.
3. Drive through Adaminaby past the Big Trout, till you get to Lette St/Yaouk Road. There’s a petrol station on the corner and a sign to Yaouk. From there it’s about 25 minutes to our driveway entrance on the right hand side (about 3 kms past the bridge over the Murrumbidgee River).
From Cooma via Shannons Flat
1. Depart Cooma along the Mittagang Road – direction Shannons Flat, which links up with Shannons Flat Road. Distance from Cooma to Shannons flat is 40.7kms some of which is unsealed road.
2. Proceed along Yaouk Road till the turnoff to the left to “The Outpost”. Distance from Shannons Flat to The Outpost is 18.4kms all of which is unsealed road.
Driving north from Melbourne or via Jindabyne – Drive through either Cooma, Adaminaby, or Tumut. At Adaminaby look for the ‘Yaouk’ sign. ‘The Outpost’ is 25 minutes north on an predominantly unsealed road.
Note: The Outpost is located on an unsealed road, if renting a vehicle please be aware of conditions regarding driving on unsealed roads.
Flying – You can fly into Canberra from Sydney or Melbourne. Alternatively, fly to Cooma (with REX). We can arrange to pick you up or you can hire a car. We also have a helicopter pad that has been used a few times by our guests (please contact us first before dropping in!).